I was fortunate enough to work from home for my first full time job. I’m glad that I went through this experience early. Currently I work in an office setting now, which I love, but I do miss some aspects of the remote life as well. Here are some brief points from perspective:
Pros of remote:
- no commute
- generally less distractions
- very flexible hours
- don’t need to worry about what you need to wear for work
Cons of remote:
- you can’t just walk up to your teammate and get help immediately
- less visibility, so getting recognized and promotions are much harder (a few of my remote friends echoed this too). I get the sense that remote companies give less promotions and salary bumps because they think working remotely is a luxury in an of itself?
- can become isolating when your not around much people for a work week.
Remote roles are great for folks at different stages in their career. I discovered after a year and half of working remotely that I wanted to try something new in an office setting and things have been great.